Sunday, January 20, 2008

Eve Tushnet's Fun Challenge

Several months ago I came across Eve Tushnet's fun challenge of listing 10 meaningful or striking Bible passages. Now that I have internet set up at home and can resume blogging, I accept. Without further ado:

10. Mark 2:1-12. So great was the desire for healing and forgiveness in the hearts of the paralytic man and his friends that they cut a hole in the roof and lowered him in to meet Jesus. Somebody cared enough about me to do the same once, years ago.

9. Psalm 49:4b. "I will solve my riddle to the music of the lyre."

8. Jeremiah 20:9. "If I say, 'I will not mention him, or speak any more in his name,' there is in my heart as it were a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I am weary with holding it in, and I cannot."

7. Acts 2:5-13. The devout in the street hear the Apostles speaking, each in their own languages. "And all were amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, 'What does this mean?' But others mocking said, 'They are filled with new wine.'"

6. Ephesians 2:13-16. "For he is our peace, who has broken down the dividing wall of hostility...." A Jewish convert to Christianity explained the significance to me several years ago and it resonated with me.

5. 1 Samuel 1:19-20. "They rose early in the morning and worshipped before the LORD; then they went back to their house at Ramah. And Elka'nah knew Hannah his wife, and the LORD remembered her; and in due time Hannah conceived and bore a son, and she called his name Samuel, for she said, 'I have asked him of the LORD.'"

4. Psalm 51:15. "O LORD, open thou my lips, and my mouth shall show forth thy praise." The verse with which Morning Prayer commences. Usually the first words I speak out loud each morning. So dependent am I on God that I cannot even speak without His assistance.

3. Luke 2:25-26. "Now there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon, and this man was righteous and devout, looking for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he should not see death before he had seen the Lord's Christ."

2. Ezekiel 36:24-28. "For I will take you from the nations, and gather you from all the countries, and bring you into your own land. I will sprinkle clean water upon you, and you shall be clean from all your uncleanness, and from all your idols I will cleanse you. A new heart I will give you, and a new spirit I will put within you; and I will take out of your flesh the heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to observe my ordinances. You shall dwell in the land which I gave to your fathers; and you shall be my people, and I will be your God."

1. John 15:15. "No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home